Durham County Record Office Online Shop
The City of Durham Town Hall
City of Durham (2006)
0 7117 4223 5
17 x 24.5 x 0.3 cm
Durham Town Hall occupies the site of a mansion built as a palace for the Neville family, Earls of Westmorland, which was forfeited to the Crown in 1569 after the Rising of the North rebellion.
The new Town Hall, opened in 1851, incorporates the Guildhall, dating from 1356, and adjoining parts of the Old Town Hall.
Fully illustrated throughout, this colour guide covers the birth of Durham City, a plan of the building and descriptions of the Foyer, Crush Hall, Main Hall, Mayor's Chamber, Guildhall, Basement and Exterior.